WILD AMERICA Reading!

Tomorrow night, I'll be reading my poem, "February," as part of a collaborative poem/art project at the Commonwealth Gallery on Baldwin St. The reception starts at 6:30, the reading at 7:30.

The poem is an erasure taken from Aldo Leopold's Sand County Almanac from the chapter "February: Good Oak."  I used my Viking to stitch out the trees, the history, and as much nature as possible.  This is page 1:



When Ari Brice (the artist) and I met, we spent some time talking about (among many other things) how keen Americans are to knock down trees and destroy natural habitats to build vinyl-sided houses rather than live in a house that already exists.  We also talked about how nature tends to reclaim places after they've been abandoned.  I thought an erasure poem taken from nature writing would be quite fitting.

Ari designed an amazing shelf to display my "book," which is delicately stitched together in a complicated map-like way, and responded to the poem with a fascinating piece or art that corresponds in a way to the poem.  In addition to reading this poem (it's small-- just a few stanzas), I'll be reading another that touches on similar themes.

Hope to see you there!




Comments

Popular Posts