It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas

This is not true. It's in the 70's and lovely outside. Half-Price Books, however, would like me to think Christmas is approaching-- I walked into the store and found myself surrounded by snowmen and Santa cards.  I don't doubt that if I went to any other store today, I'd also find Christmas trees and ornaments, stockings, etc. With Christmas 4 months away, I guess it's never too early to start buying things to prepare?  It's like the Christmas-pocolypse: Stock up today on cards or you might not survive! 

In the past, I've typically scorned those who start thinking about Christmas as soon as the leaves change color. This year, though I'm crazy-lady-excited for the holidays. Heaven help me. It might be my new cubicle lifestyle or my new passion for pinning DIY projects... I won't pretend I'm not looking forward to Christmas carols.

In the meantime, to keep myself busy, I plan to make all of the things I've pinned. Ok, probably not all of them, but lots. And I'm starting with a trip to the thrift shop tonight. There are also a few wonderful events going down soon to keep my holiday excitement at a reasonable (for those around me, hopefully tolerable) level. I'm especially looking forward to:

Kathy Park Hong reading (Oct. 4)
Literary Network Run/Walk (Oct. 14)
Wisconsin Fellowship of Poet's Conference (Nov. 2-4)
Lorine Niedecker Festival (Nov. 2-4)
Wisconsin Book Festival (Nov. 7-11)

Then, on to Thanksgiving! Then it's Christmas! Then Boston & AWP!

Speaking of October-- why is Vegan for a Month in October? October is the time of year I most want to eat cheese and warm, baked things. Why not in August, when I can just eat tomatoes all day long? I don't know, I might try it anyway. In the name of solidarity or good health or environmental happiness...



Comments

Popular Posts