I was having a day

I'm having such a time trying to keep my head in a straight line these days.  I used to think fragmentation wasn't true.  But here it is.  Yesterday, I had a bunch of deadlines and, having taken care of them, I woke a bit disoriented today.  So, I made a list of things I've been putting off: dishes, vacuum, put books away, pay parking ticket...  It was this kind of day.  I ate frosted mini wheats, then stared at the wall for a while before tackling my list, and I checked my email between each task...  I ate an apple. I got a rejection.  I replied to a university about a teaching job. I got an email from Kenyon Review and told Matthew I was sick of getting rejected today (he's home studying for finals and was eating lunch).  And then I opened the email and they  want 2 poems for their online magazine, which shocked me and left me a bit... well, I didn't want to do anything even more than I hadn't wanted to do anything before. 

On that note. I was suppose to go to prison today for volunteer training, but my background check didn't clear in time.  I'll be teaching poetry classes at Oakhill through the Writers in Prisons Project, which seems like a pretty great time.  I'm rather excited.  I had volunteer training marked in my calendar, but when it fell through, it left me at the bottom of a swimming pool with no water.  Now what?  I finally decided to use the time to read some things I've been meaning to read and to write something here (but in reverse order-- or simultaneously according to how my head thinks time works today).  The Meatyard books I'd gotten from the library were recalled a few weeks ago, but I just got them back, so I'm excited to play with them again.  I'm also revisiting Wisconsin Death Trip, which I tend to read every year right before the snow falls just to feel like my head's above the ice even if my body's sinking beneath it.  I also usually read Angela Carter this time of year (actually, I think it's usually Octoberish), so I plan to dig her up soon.  And I have an Ecotone & Ploughshares sitting around that I've been meaning to read for some time.  AND. (phew) I want to read a story from Emma Straub's Other People We Married, which I got at AWP last year and still haven't read.

So. Those fun things have been added to my list.  

Also, I need to say these things: On Sunday, C & I went to look for snowy owls at Horicon Marsh. We saw none. BUT, we saw: bald eagles, pheasants, sandhill cranes, turkeys, a kestrel, and 3 long-eared owls (which were unbelievably beautiful and surprising).  It was rather eventful.  Yesterday, we got a tree and the house smells like a forest floor. So far, Roger has successfully eaten one half of a candy cane.  OK. It's 8pm. I will read and maybe con Matthew into watching an episode of Twin Peaks before sleeping.  What a strangely great day.
 

Comments

Popular Posts