Meh.

I'm left-sided-stuffy and it makes my whole-self tired.  Stupid, dry-winter state with its unseasonably warm weather, which makes me want to walk in the dry, and then come home and sit in the dry, forced-heat house...

The cold and dry make me want to read about torture and bad things-- it makes me realize how not-too-bad winter is?  Not sure, but it's why I read Angela Carter at the beginning of each winter.  Instead of Carter, I'm reading Women Saints' Lives In Old English Prose again.  And I'm reading the Bible sometimes.  Though, I must clarify: I don't love Jesus.  I mean, he's great.  But I don't love him-love him.  By which I mean this:  if I click the "next blog" arrow, I will read the bloggers' description of themselves and their children, AND a declaration that they love Jesus.  Jesus is still all right with me, but I'm reading the Bible because it's a lovely, horrifying book.  And "lovely and horrifying" is my favorite literary combo.

In edition to reading "The Life of Aethelyryth," my day consisted of toffee, peppermint bark, and as-sugar-free-as-possible pfeffernusse.  Since I'd only really eaten chocolate, sugar, and butter, I decided on kale & barley for dinner.  Oh. And I had an interview, which went quite well.  Probably because I felt good in my interview outfit.  The highlight of the day, though, was from this great Cool TV find.

So, Carter's been on me to watch this "awesome" music video for a few days.  He was (maybe is a little still) big into Weird Al, and generally has had questionable taste in things in the past.  (I mean, I introduced him to Weird Al, so I guess I can only blame myself...) Today, I wasn't much in the mood for a music video.  I'd already watched I Think We're Alone Now, a documentary about a 53-year-old man and an intersexual who are in love (eh-hem- stalking) 80's pop-sensation/went-on-to-pose-for-Playboy Tiffany.  But Carter said he'd seen this video on Cool TV, and, given my history with Cool TV, I decided I needed to check it out. This is what he showed us (Matthew was there, too, eating dinner):


Pretty great, right?  Though I'm not sure why I think it's ok for this lady to beat up these dudes, but get pissy about Rhianna songs... Is it because there's a triangle in this song?

To back track, the greatest thing that happened last week: Carter asked me if he could watch Cool TV for inspiration.  Hells yes, I said.  He proceeded to watch Cool TV and draw and write things.  He's working on this pretty awesome comic about the apocalypse right now, and he's using the story for his short fiction assignment that's due in his English class. ( The Apocalypse in context: the author of Ashes came to his school & talked about volcanoes, and this led to a discussion about the world ending...)

I'm happy to have an almost-teenage son.  I know so much more about what's going on with the world outside of poetry and the lives of saints because of him.  And, he's just pretty amazing.  Also, I'm happy that Matthew's done with the semester on Thursday.  So is Matthew.




Comments

Popular Posts