Catching up on things, Part 2: The Gas Guy

As you may recall, my CO levels were a bit out of whack last week.  The furnace guy came, built us a shiny new furnace, and all was well.  Except the furnace wouldn't turn on.  So, I told the landlord, and he said he'd take care of it.  Then, around 8pm, I thought it would be good to tell the neighbors that the heat wasn't working.  We agreed-- it was in the 80s, so not a huge problem.

At around 10:30, Matthew & I were in bed and thought we heard a knock at our door.  We decided not to answer.  Then, we heard some loud noises outside and the backing up of a large vehicle (the kind that beeps to let you know it's backing up), and we thought maybe someone was coming to tell us we were being towed.  I decided to check, and saw that the neighbor upstairs was letting the gas guy into her apartment.  Apparently, she'd heard the furnace kick on and thought she smelled gas.

The gas guy wanted to look at our furnace, which is easiest to access through our apartment.  I let him in, showed him to the basement, pointed him to the light, and as soon as he pointed his flashlight into the furnace, a bat started swarming his head.

Me?  I said, almost calmly, "bat!" and went back upstairs.  The gas guy? "F*ck!, Holy Sh*t! Oh my god!" and he ran up the stairs, slamming the door behind him.  It was pretty hilarious.  I told the gas guy he could head on out since his gas meter was reading zeros, and that I'd call the landlord about the furnace.  The next day, the furnace was fixed (eh hem, the thermostat apparently just needed a new battery...).

And the bats?  Well, I wanted to go down there and get rid of them humanely, but just kicking them out won't solve the problem.  The critter people will need to come and figure out how they got in and fix it.  So, that will happen today or tomorrow.

There've been tons of bats flying around our neighborhood lately, which makes me happy.  In theory, I think bats are adorable and important to the ecosystem.  In my basement, I think otherwise.


And after the extensive google image search I just conducted, I'm not sure I find them all that adorable.  I'm officially a little creeped out by them. 

Comments

Popular Posts