Sad News

My great-grandma died in her sleep on Friday.

How wonderful was she?  Very.  She was 94 and had 8 great-great grandkids! When we were younger, we'd celebrate Christmas in my grandparents' bar, and even into her 80's she'd stay up with us dancing to jukebox music. She didn't seem to believe in getting old. Anytime she visited anyone (or if you visited her), she had a fancy cake from a bakery or a box of Fannie Mae chocolates, and she'd physically force you to eat them if necessary (usually it wasn't necessary).  During the war, she became a forklift driver and worked well into her 70s. She was incredibly sweet and loved to shop and had opinions and shared them without hesitation.  When she was living with my grandparents, she loved to watch squirrels try to get into the bird feeders. I could go on, but here's her obit:

Estelle M. Gron, nee Brzezicki; age 94; formerly of Chicago and Berwyn; beloved wife of the late John E. Gron; loving mother of Joan (the late Donald) Wasielewski, Sylvia (Ronald) Chmelina, and Florence (Gerald) Voras; dear grandmother of 8; great grandmother of 9; great-great grandmother of 8; aunt of many nieces and nephews; predeceased in death by her brothers Steve and Theofil “Ted” Brzezicki; Retired employee of Binks Mfg. Co. formerly of Chicago and Franklin Park; life union membership of I.A.M.A.W. Dist 8. Shopping, crocheting, and knitting were her favorite pastimes. She always enjoyed being with family and friends especially at Christmas when she shared Polish traditions with family. In lieu of flowers, contributions for a Mass or Miraculous Medal Association, www.amm.org , appreciated.


On Saturday, Matthew and I had plans to celebrate Valentine's Day, so we kept them.  After dinner, I grabbed a giant slice of German Chocolate cake and brought it home and ate it-- it's what she would've wanted, I'm sure.  I have some great pictures of her forking chocolate cake into 4-year-old-Carter's mouth. When I find these pictures, I'll share them.

Comments

Popular Posts