I'm signing up for the dirty girl mud run, and I'm pretty excited about it.  I hate running, but this is basically a chance to participate in Double Dare's "physical challenge," and I'm so into that.  So, in August, I will climb walls and circumvent hanging tires, &etc. in the mud.

Otherwise, we went to the Chazen Museum on Friday.  We hadn't been there since they added the second building (side note: I worked there back in the day-- what a fun job.), and we were interested in checking out the new exhibits.  Mostly, I was happy to see a few Joseph Cornell pieces.  Elizabeth Bishop was a huge Cornell fan and made shadow boxes of her own (see this Art of Poetry in The Paris Review).  I may have to begin a shadow box collection myself.

Also, I must mention the work of John Wilde, which, if you google image search doesn't do justice to the paintings at the museum.  I was happy to learn he was a Wisconsin man.  All of my favorite artists and writers tend to be closely tied to the state.  Or at least to cornfields.

And, finally, I'm halfway through Moll Flanders.  I've been pretty busy with other things (Downton Abbey, baking, interviewing...), so it's slow-going.  But so far, I'm upset by the inconsistencies of the character, and I'm never sure I understand who she really enjoys being with and why... I don't know.  She talks about how sad she is to give her baby up for adoption and that a mother's love, blah, blah, but she's already had like 20 kids and left them in various places without a second thought (or further mention), so why is she so upset about giving this one up?   I find  the clearly-male mindset of the voice so distracting and it makes me angry.  It's clearly a novel dependent upon its moral value with little consideration of its narrative.  Oh well, it's not dull, so I'll finish it..  Then on to Jude the Obscure, which Matthew just finished reading 2 minutes ago.  He sometimes had to put it down to recover from all the tragedy.  I'm scared.

Matthew's making chap chee for dinner, & the sesame oil smells pretty wonderful.  I'll go help.


Comments

Popular Posts